Tuesday, August 23, 2022

Anger.

 Hi again... 

I told you I'm dusting off the cobwebs and I have lots to say. 

A year ago I left an organization that I had been with just shy of 20 years.  I left to work with a different organization.  A much smaller one and to work as a nurse practitioner.  Let me just say I love working as a nurse practitioner.  I love the patients.  It's great. 

What don't I love? 

I don't love that I came from a management philosophy of if you had a problem with someone the manager was supposed to give you guidance to talk to that person first and then if that didn't solve the problem then you brought it to them.  The new org philosophy seems to be if you have a problem you automatically go to whatever manager is available. 

1st it's childish.  

2nd it creates distrust among workers. 

3rd it pisses me off. 

I also don't love that when I've brought up issues such as a lack of air conditioning at one point where the facility temperature was 78 degrees plus that I was essentially told that I was being dramatic.  Turns out they hadn't programmed the air for weekends or after 5 pm.  But I was being "drama" and I was being overly dramatic.  

I work weekends and nights and I'm literally the person on site in charge. A situation occurred not involving patients. I mentioned in a social setting that it didn't go quite as smoothly as one would hope.  The supervisor called me to say that I was creating drama and that it should have been kept on the down low.  That it created unnecessary fear. It was a healthcare worker safety issue.  Any person that worked at that site should have been notified via email.  It's almost a week later - no email has gone out of how we're going to improve the response.  

This was a situation of don't pee on my leg and tell me it's raining.  Because it's pee, not rain.  

It takes a lot to piss me off, but they finally managed to do it.  Apparently you hit the 1 year mark and people go from loving you to hating you.  

I spent 20 years in a job that I loved with people I didn't.  I won't do that to myself again.  I have a contract. The contract is until next August.  If things don't change then I'll do another year after that and leave.  I'm not going to be made to feel like I'm overreacting.  

I was forthright and honest with them about who I am and what I stand for. If I see something wrong I say something.  If I say something and weeks go by before anything is done then I'll say it again.  And if that makes me drama well so be it.  

I'm done being nice about things. 

You wanted to wake the beast... well here she is.  

So now I'm formulating my response.  Because I will finish out my contract.  I hoped this would be my retirement job.  You know the one you'll love for the rest of your career.  Right now I'm pissed, I'm hurt and well it's pretty bad when the cop goes - oh no you didn't just resign did you? 

2 comments:

DinoD said...

I'm sorry about your job (you would never know the behind the scenes info from facebook, really).

I am, however, very happy that my detective work sent me fairly easily to your blog. I googled mine and ended up at Stirrup Queens and then found a comment on my blog from you.... and voila.

I have thought about blogging again but who wants to hear about my sociopathic sister? I don't even want to hear about her....so....

DinoD (that makes me grin)

areyoukiddingme said...

The possibility exists that the culture can change in a year. But you're already irritated, and they've labeled you as dramatic, so that's going to be hard to put behind you. Regardless, the only way I've seen it change is if your manager moves to a different position. In the meantime, you can arrange your schedule so that you make time to stress-release by reading Ask A Manager so that your workplace doesn't seem quite as bad as it feels. Or maybe it will motivate you to move on.

Sorry that work sucks. I hope you find the perfect job to ease you into retirement.