Wednesday, August 24, 2022

Deep breathing...

For the most part I love my job. 

I love my job a lot. 

Love the people I work with. 

However as with most things the shine kind of comes off after a year. 

There have been some little things.  The building I'm in they are planning on doing major construction. So as you'd imagine there are some snafus. One of the snafus is that the heating and cooling can be an issue.  In April we had a warm streak.  I asked what the plan was since things started to get hot.  And by hot I mean the humidity was high.  I don't tolerate heat well.  Especially when gowned up in an isolation gown, a face mask, and a N95 and goggles and shields.  

The site manager and building manager all essentially told me I was being ridiculous.  That I was the only one complaining.  In May things got worse.  We had opened up on Sundays and honest to goodness I went around and the building temperature was 82 degrees with a high humidity.  

And at that point they realized I wasn't crazy.  No apology was issued.  At one point I was told I was hte only one complaining about the heat.  I may have said sarcastically have you talked to the patients.  They also realized that the air had been turned off at 5 pm (we close at 7) and they hadn't programmed the heaters for the weekends or after 5 pm.  

Recently an incident at work occurred - no patients were harmed, but with workplace violence an issue the response was lack luster.  I mentioned it in a social setting that I felt was a safe place to talk about this... and I heard from my boss and the words that were used was that I should not have mentioned it to anyone that once I had I became "dramatic" and "drama" and that she's heard that a few times.  That "You're a leader in this organization" and that "You have to realize that we are handling things" I may have gotten mad... Okay I got a lot mad.  I'm currently debating how to send an email that makes everyone understand that I will tolerate a lot. Do not ever call me dramatic when I am being many things - dramatic is not one of them. 

Pissed off - yes that is one of them. 

Feeling as if I've been treated as a child rather than the professional that I am... also yes. 



1 comment:

areyoukiddingme said...

I do love a good icily-worded email that conveys to people that you don't appreciate their behavior. Our new boss has been doing some things that are silly - like telling a bunch of professionals, who don't actually have enough work to keep them busy, what work they should be doing. She's getting pressure from higher up, and asked for suggestions that she could forward up the chain. My email on the topic began (after several false starts) "Turns out that I'm not capable of writing something that would be appropriate to forward." And then I suggested that our big bosses stop micromanaging us and start helping out on the low levels where the actual roadblocks exist. :)

I hope you write a blistering email that makes everyone come to their senses! Or at least one that tells them they need to stop messing with you.