Thursday, June 11, 2009

That Feeding Thing...

Well with my mom's prompt departure I was forced to take a serious look at my son's eating habits or lack there of. So I made that appointment for the feeding clinic...

Yesterday was the evaluation. And the verdict is that we need to do feeding therapy. Apparently Squeaker is showing signs of some oral aversion and reflux. The last part I want hmmm... his food choices, his self limiting behavior, etc.

So two things happened yesterday - we started him on prevacid and my brain was a bit fried as I had been up all night, but we have 3 things we need to work on until we actually start the therapy program... playing with food, smelling food, and not forcing him to eat.

My mom felt bad when she heard we were told NOT to force him to eat as she had been forcing him to eat out of frustration. I told her she was doing what she thought best and that it's not her fault.

So onward and upward right? This is something we can work on and hopefully we have a new boy in regards to food in the next few weeks. We did order freeze dried peas and corn and he loves those so we are finally getting vegetables to cross those lips of his...

At least we finally have a plan... that's a good thing right?

5 comments:

Plant Girl said...

Glad that he likes the corn! It's one of my favorites too. ;)

Goodluck wit the feeding therapy. Hopefully your Mom realizes she hasn't done anything wrong.

Amy said...

Best of luck with the feeding therapy! I hope you get fabulous results!!
(Quick question(s): remind me, Squeaker is otherwise healthy and all that, right? He just doesn't eat? Is he really low on weight or something?)

JMB said...

A plan is a good thing, as well as some affirmation that things can get better. It can be insanely frustrating to have a kid who won't do something that you would usually take for granted.

I would probably feel a bit guilty too, but her motivation was from the right place; her concern for his well-being.

It's going to be OK.

Thalia said...

Plan sounds good. I hope you manage to find the patience required to work through this with him, I know I would struggle!

Yo-yo Mama said...

Since you are trying to get him to eat solids, I suppose liquid calories are out (ensure, etc.)?

Yes, it's definitely a start.