Sunday, October 30, 2005

Commuter marriages and our gorgeous puppies!


Lets see if I haven't made all your cynical hearts melt with tales of my husband I seriously do not know what will.... but maybe a picture of Lola, Chance and Ernie will... can we all say we have absolutely gorgeous puppies? Currently Ernie (the big blue Weimaraner is curled up next to me... while Lola (the little chocolate and tan doxie) is laying belly up on the electric blanket beside me...

Yesterday found us (meaning the 3 pups, Dan and I) at his parents for dinner... my vegetarian tendencies were of course only appeased with peas as Dan's parents are beef and potatoes kind of people... So I ate peas and pasta... I - being the best dil they could ever dream of have invited them to our house for Thanksgiving (okay so Dan's an only child so I'm the only dil they've ever had but geez I am great!)... I should also add that the likelihood of them showing up is slim... because my mil LOVES her family and spends as much time with them as possible. Dan and I refer to the land that the family owns and lives within a quarter of a mile of each other as "The Compound" and like to avoid family gatherings as dealing with individuals that lack motivation and any sort of knowledge really really really makes our heads hurt... and what would I do with my in laws if they actually showed up for turkey day? Send my mil off with my mother and my fil off with my husband... like a good wife would do. I should also say that we've been mentioning this to them for at least two months and have yet to get a definite answer...

I had high high hopes of being pregnant by then, but I doubt it at this point... and we would not be anywhere near a "safe" point to tell - meaning the end of the first trimester... So on the upside if they do come I can drink heavily and not care that they are in my house.

Some may wonder how hubby and I do this whole weird living situation... we have a house on the other side of the state... my job is on the other side of the state... Dan's job is on this side of the state and he lives with my mom while he's working with the two youngest dogs (Ernie and Lola)... Chance lives with me when I'm working... some may wonder why... Well cop jobs are not plentiful and Dan has free insurance for the both of us... yep you read it FREE... we pay NOTHING and it covers just about everything... I currently am finding out what kind of infertility coverage it has as that will decide whether or not I keep my insurance which is crappy. We do this mainly because he just can't seem to find a job over on the other side of the state. I offered when we first started dating, and again after my dad died, and again before we bought our house... and each time I was met with "No, I like it on the other side of the state and it will happen eventually." Well 2 years going and it hasn't happened yet...

On the upside even with these kind of odds - I work 6 nights in a row then have 8 nights off and he works 5 in a row then has 2 off we somehow manage to spend enough time together to almost always hit our "peak fertile" time... however as my husband would point out... "We're f'd up." So that's our story in a nutshell... why we do the commuter marriage so to speak... not by choice, but because we have to...

No comments: