Thursday, November 10, 2005

In Laws... What to do?

In a previous post I said that I was the best daughter-in-law as I invited my in laws to our house for Thanksgiving... Well news flash - they declined. In my husband's words they want to spend time with his mom's side of the family...

Okay - lets see... Your ONLY son invites you to a Thanksgiving dinner and you refuse?????

Am I the only one that thinks this is nuts... And when I questioned my husband about how he feels about it... He was ambivalent... Stated "not a surprise" and "typical" Which in husband speak means he's slightly hurt by this, but "used to it." Now I'm upset for him... Actually totally pissed off. Holiday's are for family and Dan was planning on taking a couple days off to actually spend with family... And his parents are totally going to miss out on that. I am angry for my husband because my parents are the total opposite... They would come even if not invited... And I'm okay with that... Even now with it only my mom - she's planning on coming. Yes, it's a long drive, but we (meaning Dan and I) do it all the time... Take one for the team, drive over and enjoy a holiday with your son...

And speaking of in laws... I totally don't get their take on Dan's cousin N's arrest for CSC... In laymen's terms... He was arrested for molesting his step daughter... His wife is still with him and is of course pregnant with their 2nd child, her 3rd... and hubby's parents were concerned that their kids were going to be taken away... Our response - it would be the best thing for those kids! We get looks of horror for voicing that statement... uhmm lets see... we think jail time needs to occur... this whole thing is making my husband nuts. He loves kids, and abhors anyone that does harm to kids, and it really really pisses him off when someone tries to defend someone that has hurt a child... (I do as well), but now it's family that is doing it... how do we combat them... what do we do to make them get it...

I'm going to speak to my father in law in the hopes of getting him to understand just what these things are doing to his son... I doubt it will work, but at least I can try... oh and we'll drop the bomb later about if N or J (his wife) are at a family function we won't be. I doubt we'll be missed as we're anti social, but at the very least we need Dan's parents to understand that this is the way it is going to be.

Thoughts??? Suggestions??? I'm all ears...

No comments: