Saturday, July 15, 2006

Beautiful Images & Go Say CONGRATULATIONS

I brought all of you out of the proverbial woodwork with my condom story...

Alas the condoms are sitting unopened... hubby is sleeping er snoring... er not sure what you want to call it and is barely adjusting to the whole "10 hour shifts" I laugh as I work 12 hour shifts.

Now that's not a beautiful image, that's just the catch up kind of thing.

I'm on a work stretch so all should know I'm sporadic poster than, but I thought of all of you when I saw this image... A proud grandma. One of my coworkers who works days had this little envelope and she was grinning like a little kid... I asked what she had and she said of my new grandbaby. Her daughter and son in law are adopting from Guatemala and this was their second visit to see their daughter in spite of the DNA not being done yet... it's done now, but it's apparently not encouraged to visit before that's completed.

The images were beautiful... and made me get all teary as I looked at this family. This beautiful little girl, who obviously her birth mother loved her, her adoptive mother and father loved her and her grandmother LOVED her. The joy at just the thought of this family being united made my heart swell. (Shut up... yes, I'm a sap at heart, don't mention it I'm also cynical and caustic at times, don't mention that either.)

And it made me think of Alex - The Infertile Gourmet who didn't get to pray over her daughter last night, but who will get that pleasure in a little over 2 weeks. 2 WEEKS ladies and gentlemen... and that's fabulous news.

So families being united... isn't that always a beautiful image to put in your mind... a smiling cherubic face that shines with love... and it made me think.

It made me think of how far am I willing to go... and I don't know the answer yet. I do know that adoption is something I think about often. I know that we would do that before we would ever do IVF. What I don't know is how many losses are we willing to suffer before we throw in the hat. That's an answer I haven't come up with. I hope and pray that there will be no more losses. I also know that adoption is something I would do in a heartbeat... and it's something my husband would do without question. Because we know that there are kids out there that need a home, and need to be loved, and to us - it's not about how we become parents, but that we do become parents and share the love that we can really only share with each other and our dogs.

I told a fellow blogger... that she's a mom. She's suffered many losses and her and her husband have made the choice to proceed with adoption plans. She's a mom. She's a mom whether anyone else ever recognizes that. Her children were conceived in her womb, but live in her heart. Her adopted child(ren) will be conceived in her heart, but live in her arms. It's a subtle difference, but it's the way I view adoption.

So how about them apples...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sami, this is a beautiful post, and the last full paragraph especially was such a comfort to me. I think that you are a mom, too. I pray that you never will have to suffer through another miscarriage and that you will get your much deserved happy ending with your next pregnancy. I also, however, think that you would be a wonderful mother to an adopted child. One way or another, you are going to have the child that your heart desires, and he or she will be very loved and very lucky.